Thursday, April 28, 2011

Royal Wedding Scones {Recipe}

Tissues, just in case...
I LOVE WEDDINGS!  Unless we are reliving mine.  Mine had multiple glitches (they prepared me for perfectly planning someone elses'), but in the end I got to marry my Prince Charming.  That's all that matters.  Soon, the famous Kate Middleton will be marrying her prince.  I remember watching recaps of Princess Diana's wedding over and over as a child.  My grandma even has several Princess Di porcelain dolls, including one of her in her wedding gown.  My favorite fictitious books are about the history of the royal family.  It's intriguing to us commoners.  : ) 

So, I'm gonna watch this grand event in a few short hours, in my pj's, with cups of tea and scones with cream, and a feathery headband to top it off.  It seems the proper thing to do. 

Example of such head piece.  I'm wearing a sleeveless dress.
 Scones come in a variety of flavors.   You can have savory scones, like broccoli and cheddar, or my favorite, sweet ones, like blueberry cardamom.  I hope I've given you enough time to make these for your watch party.  If not, make them for Mother's Day.  This version is vegan, but you can replace the vegan ingredients with the dairy version if you prefer. 

Blueberry Cardamom Scones

Ingredients:

3 cups of flour
1/3 cup of sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cardamom
1 teaspoons salt (omit salt if using salted butter or butter alternative like Earth Balance with salt in it)
3/4 cup of vegan butter/shortening
1 cup of frozen blueberries or dried if you prefer
1 c of almond milk with 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it (makes "buttermilk")
Sanding sugar-amount varies

Preheat 400 degrees F.
Make the buttermilk mixture first.  Let it sit while you make the rest.  Mix the butter, cut into small 1/2 in pieces, with the dry ingredients using a pastry fork, food processor, or your fingertips until pea sized crumbles form.  No need sift the dry ingredients together first unless you like being precise.  Stir in the blueberries.  Stir in the buttermilk.  Mix well.  I mix by hand.  Knead 4 times or so, I cheat and do it in the bowl.  Spread out into a circle on the counter.  Cut into 8 wedges and place on a parchment or Silpat lined sheet.  With a pastry brush, brush a bit of almond milk or even water on the tops of the wedges.  Sprinkle with various sanding sugars.  Be fun, use color if you like.  I often do.  Bake 25 minutes.  Edges and tops should be deep golden brown.  Cool on the pans for 5-10 minutes and remove to cool for freezing or place on a plate and enjoy with tea or cream.  They freeze well, after cutting the dough or after baking.  Scones tasted best when warm, but they are pretty darn tasty regardless.

 Sweet Poatato and Carrot







 
Orange Cranberry Wheat 









Orange Cranberry Wheat-minis

I also made orange cranberry wheat scones and sweet potato carrot.  If anyone wants, I can post those recipes too.  Normally I roll them out and cut them with darling cookie cutters.  See the hearts with the colorful sanding sugars?  I know William and Kate like color so I popped some on for them. 

Have a delicious day watching the two love birds tie the knot!

No comments:

Post a Comment